Sunday, 28 October 2007

Daring Bakers II



For my second Daring Bakers task I found myself facing a multi-layered challenge. This month Mary from Alpineberry had us creating Bostini Cream Pies. A velvety custard topped with a slice of chiffon cake and finished with a drizzle of chocolate. Pure comfort food.

For my version I opted for two variations. A lemon chiffon instead of the traditional orange featured below and I opted to garnish with an extra smaller star shaped slice of chiffon because there's something lovely about that golden star in a pool of chocolately darkness. I was fortunate enough to have custard that set with a little chilling and so plated with a larger star shaped custard base below my first chiffon slice.



As for the taste, imagine the lightest lemon cake on a silky bed of custard smothered in chocolate and you have the Bostini Cream Pie. With a chilled set custard it's decadent but refreshing, especially when paired with the light and lemony cake. I've also tried it with warm custard and an extra smothering of chocolate glaze for a rich and comforting treat. The recipe with a traditional orange chiffon can be found below and feel free to see what the other Daring Bakers created here.

Bostini Cream Pie
(from Donna Scala & Kurtis Baguley of Bistro Don Giovanni and Scala's Bistro)
Makes 8 generous servings


Custard
3/4 cup whole milk
2 3/4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 whole egg, beaten
9 egg yolks, beaten
3 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 vanilla bean
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar

Chiffon Cake
1 1/2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup superfine sugar
1 1/3 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup beaten egg yolks (3 to 4 yolks)
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange zest
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup egg whites (about 8 large)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Chocolate Glaze
8 ounces semi or bittersweet chocolate
8 ounces unsalted butter

To prepare the custard:Combine the milk and cornstarch in a bowl; blend until smooth. Whisk in the whole egg and yolks, beating until smooth. Combine the cream, vanilla bean and sugar in a saucepan and carefully bring to a boil. When the mixture just boils, whisk a ladleful into the egg mixture to temper it, then whisk this back into the cream mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain the custard and pour into 8 large custard cups. Refrigerate to chill.

To prepare the chiffon cakes:
Preheat the oven to 325°F/180C. Spray 8 molds with nonstick cooking spray. You may use 7-ounce custard cups, ovenproof wide mugs or even large foil cups. Whatever you use should be the same size as the custard cups. Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add the oil, egg yolks, orange juice, zest and vanilla. Stir until smooth, but do not overbeat. Beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gently fold the beaten whites into the orange batter. Fill the sprayed molds nearly to the top with the batter.
Bake approximately 25 minutes, until the cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with your fingertip. Do not overbake. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. When completely cool, remove the cakes from the molds. Cover the cakes to keep them moist.

To prepare the glaze:Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place the butter in a saucepan and heat until it is just about to bubble. Remove from the heat; add the chocolate and stir to melt. Pour through a strainer and keep warm.

To assemble: Cut a thin slice from the top of each cake to create a flat surface. Place a cake flat-side down on top of each custard. Cover the tops with warm chocolate glaze. Serve immediately.

53 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds and looks divine! Love the lightness of the chiffon cake paired with the chocolate. Yum yum

Lucy said...

Lovely work.

You're a brave girl. Those Dring Bakers pick some very daring sweet things indeed. Well done!

Anh said...

This looks very good! So I am not the only one imagining the floating star cake :P

Dana said...

So cute -- love the stars :). The lightness of the chiffon cake paired with the chocolate sounds delicious!

glamah16 said...

Star worthy!

Elle said...

Lemon really was a good pairingwith the chocolate. I love the extra layer of the star of cake on top of the chocloate...very pretty.

gigi said...

The floating star on top is too cute!Great job on your Bostini.

Truffle said...

Wendy - Thanks! It was my first chiffon but I thought the texture was gorgeous and lovely paired with the chocolate.

Lucy - thanks! I used to have quite a baking phobia so hopefully these challenges will give me some confidence to do a bit of fiddly baking.

Anh - I loved the presentation of yours. I wish I had other cutters but I was limited to the star. Works nicely with the yellow cake though.

Dana - Thank you! It's a great combination. I'll certainly be repeating the chiffon cake. Gorgeous texture.

glamah16 - thanks very much!

Elle - I used to have a great fondness for lemon filled chocolates so this variation really appealed. Thank you!

gigi - Thanks very much. I had a few doubts along the way so I'm so pleased it came together.

Anne said...

Very cute, I love the little star on top :)

Annemarie said...

I can imagine the lemon chiffon tasting wonderful. I'm not sure if I've ever paired lemon with chocolate but it intrigues me now...

Truffle said...

Anne - thanks! I could let that lovely cake go to waste so a few extra stars seemed the best solution.

Annemarie - I love the traditional pairing of chocolate and orange but there is something about the tangy lemon cake that cuts through that rich chocolate so well.

iCook2live said...

Very creative presentation! That lemon chiffon must have been fabulous.

Valli said...

I love the pretty star shape for your Bostini. Conratulations on completing your second Daring Bakers Challenge!!

Brilynn said...

Very nice plating, well done!

Kelly-Jane said...

Great presentation, love your golden star =) Well done.

Inne said...

So sweet, with the little chiffon star on top!

Nora B. said...

Looks very pretty, Truffle. Fantastic that you were able to create a star with the custard.

Paul said...

Looks delicious! Mikey joined the Daring Bakers and I'm wondering where our Bostini Cream Pie is? Naughty Mikey! X

Truffle said...

iCook2live - thank you! I think the lemon and chiffon work together. It's a lovely light cake.

Valli - thanks! I almost didn't get there but I'm so glad I did.

Brilynn - thanks very much! It's wonderful seeing all the different ways the DB's have plated the Bostini.

Kelly-Jane - thank you!

Inne - I don't usually go in for cutesy presentation but just couldn't resist!

Nora B. - thanks! I had a back up supply of custard in case the star shaped lot ended in disaster. Luckily it firmed up with a bit of chilling in the star shaped mould and slipped right out!

Paul - I can't wait to see his creations!

breadchick said...

OH! I'll bet it is nice and light with the lemony goodness! Nice contrast with the extra piece of cake!! Great job this month

broadcasting from a knitting parlour said...

Ah! Lemon and chocolate. I fooled around with the thought. Lime as well. Key lime coconut patties covered in dark chocolate just blow me away. Anyhoo...nice work!

Tartelette said...

Lemon flavored sponge sounds wonderful with the chocolate. I could dive right into that plate! Great job on your challenge!

Christina said...

Awesome presentation. I love the little star on top, great thinking!

Courtney said...

i love they way you do this, so beautiful and the presentation is gorgeous

Big Boys Oven said...

So lovely....stars!

Truffle said...

breadchick - The lemon certainly does give it a lovely lightness. Thank you!

broadcasting from a knitting parlour - Lime and chocolate is heavenly! Thanks!

Tartelette - thank you so much!

Christina - thank you! Couldn't let the extra cake go to waste!

Courtney - I'm so glad you like it :)

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Beautiful Truffle. I love star and heart shaped things.

Truffle said...

Big boys oven- I know it's childish but I can't resist a cute shape cut out!

Amanda- I love them too. Especially heart shapes. Must buy a heart shaped cutter soon.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Wonderful presentation! Triple Stars!!

Belinda said...

How stunning! I love your little star floating in a sea of chocolate, what a perfect idea to top off the Bostinis! Beautifully done. :-)

marye said...

great job, I love the extra small star on top of the bostini! Brilliant!

Deborah said...

I would like to try this with lemon - it sounds divine! And I love the little star cut out on top!

Jen Yu said...

That star on top is perfect. All of you who used a different flavor have piqued my curiosity! Lemon sounds delightful. Good job :)

jen at use real butter

Anonymous said...

Goodness, these look absolutely lovely! As ever Truffle your photos are amazing!

Mary said...

You get a gold star for doing such a great job on the challenge!

April said...

Very cute presentation!

Gloria said...

I love your recipe, looks so beauty!!! and I love the draw of Daring Bakers!!! Well done!!! Gloria

Ivonne said...

Ooh! I like the lemon variation. Nice job!

Claire said...

Looks great...I like the different plating you decided on.

Anne said...

the star shape cake looks so cute! you did a fabulous job :)

Quellia said...

Sounds and looks lovely! Nice work.

Cynthia said...

Looks really yummy my friend and congrats on completing your second task.

Lis said...

Great idea for the garnish, I love the little star!

I'm so happy you enjoyed this month's challenge! can't wait for next month!

xoxo

marias23 said...

Love your plating! The extra cute little star makes it extra special :)

Gabi said...

Oh my stars, looks beautiful and delish!
Nice work!
xoxo

Sheltie Girl said...

The star presentation of your bostini is lovely, I particularly like the unglazed top piece of cake. You did a wonderful job on the challenge.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

kitten said...

I love the lemon substitution, I'll have to remember that one. Great idea to top it with another little star of cake too.

Julie said...

Hooray for lemon! The stars are so cute, too!

Susan said...

What a whimsical presentation!

wmpe said...

Your bostini looks divine. The star shape is great. I like the idea of the lemon too. Nice. Wendy

Truffle said...

MyKitchenInHalfCups - thank you! That's so sweet.

Belinda - I'm so glad you like it.

marye - thank you and thanks for popping by!

Deborah - it's also a fabulous way to use up extra lemons which is always a bonus.

Jen Yu - I'm a big fan of lemon desserts so this was a natural choice for me although I think orange and chocolate is just beautiful.

Anonymous - that's very kind. Thank you!

Mary - thanks very much. Fabulous challenge with all those components.

April - I don't usually go in for this sort of thing but somehow I couldn't resist this time! Thanks.

Gloria - it's a great image, isn't it? Thank you! I'm so lucky the DB creators made one that matches my blog so well in terms of colours.

Ivonne - I think I want to try the original chocolate and orange to compare. I've always loved them together.

Claire - thanks. I think it would be fun to see what I could do with it.

Anne - thank you. That's so kind!

Quellia - thanks very much!

Cynthia - thanks for all your support. It's greatly appreciated.

Lis - me neither. Very excited!

marias23 - that's so lovely of you. Thanks!

Gabi - Thanks very much and thanks for reading :)

Sheltie Girl - Thank you so much!

kitten- I'm keen to try the original soon. Sounds great from all accounts.

Julie - it gives it lovely tangy lightness. Thanks!

Susan - I think it must be the kid in me! Lots of fun plating this one.

wmpe - thank you so much!

Dolores said...

Beautiful! I love the touch of lemon... I can't wait to try that variation. And your 'stacked stars' are a great contemporary look.

Peabody said...

I like the cake ontop as a garnish.