Saturday, 26 May 2007

Easy as Pie



Not only does this flaky little delight require minimal effort but you'll have a forkful ready within 45 minutes. What's even more remarkable is that this one is on the low fat side as these things go. By using a smaller amount of sharper cheeses and olive oil spray instead of lashings of butter you can reach for a second piece without having to sacrifice taste. A perfect light lunch with a side of salad there will be nothing left on your plate or your hips.

This is also my contribution to Weekend Herb Blogging hosted this week by Ellie at Kitchen Wench.




Three Cheese and Spinach Pie

1 small red onion diced
2 cloves garlic diced
2 bunches silver beet
1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
2 tbsp chopped parsley
90g/3 oz feta crumbled
30g/1 oz blue cheese crumbled
30g/oz parmesan cheese grated
1 egg
1/4 cup low fat greek yoghurt
1/4 cup skim milk
4 sheets filo pastry
olive oil spray

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F

Remove the white stalks from the silver beet and wash thoroughly. Chop roughly and allow to dry while in a large saucepan you sauté the garlic and onion. Add in the silver beet and allow to soften and reduce. Stir through the nutmeg and parsley. Take off the heat and stir through the feta and blue cheese until combined. Season to taste.

In a large bowl whisk together the yoghurt, egg and skim milk with a pinch of salt until smooth and creamy.

Line a pie dish with the first layer of filo pastry. Spray with a little olive oil then repeat with remaining two sheets. Pour in the spinach mixture then pour over the egg mixture. Fold over the sides of the filo pastry. I like mine topless but you could easily add another sheet or two to cover. Sprinkle over the parmesan and bake for 30 minutes.


12 comments:

Lucy said...

Lovely, Truffle. A really good combination of cheeses.

jfox said...

yum truffle, love a quick meal - have you tried different cheese combinations? might have to give that recipe a go ;D

Truffle said...

Thanks so much Lucy. I think the leftovers are going to be perfect for lunch this week.

Jfox- I do love a quick meal. I must admit, as is often the case, I used the cheeses that I just happened to have on hand but I think it would work well with a lot of combinations. Ricotta, parmesan and cheddar may be my next attempt. Or perhaps a goats cheese version.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I love all things Spinach and some combination of this has been a favorite for a long time in my house.

Ellie said...

Mm, winter is pie season, and I'll definitely be giving this pie a try!

Truffle said...

Mykitcheninhalfcups- Thanks so much for popping by! I can definitely see this becoming a staple.

Ellie- I think winter may be my favourite foodie season. It's certainly when I spend most time in the kitchen. I hope you enjoy! Thanks for hosting weekend herb blogging this week.

katiez said...

That looks fabulous - and finally someone else that use greek yogurt - I love that stuff!

Kalyn said...

It does sound really good. I love the combination of cheese you've used here!

Truffle said...

Katiez- I absolutely love greek yoghurt. Great to know I'm not alone!

Kalyn- Thanks so much and thank you for creating such a brilliant event :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Truffle, this dish is just delicious! You combined such great ingredients, not to mention the looks of the pie... Breathtaking! I need my lunch now! :D

Melinda said...

Truffle, this dish ticks all the boxes - it looks delicious, it's low fat and it's quick to make. I'll definitely be giving this one a try!

Truffle said...

Patrica- thank you so much! you're too kind :)

Melinda- I thought low fat and pie were destined to be incompatible but this one manages to defy the odds. Hope you enjoy!