Sunday, 20 May 2007

The Grapevine

A picnic lunch and an 8 hour drive later I found myself in Adelaide on Friday night for weekend wedding festivities. Dear Reader while the ceremony was touching, the bride beautiful and the company delightful let me discuss the most important aspect of any nuptials; the food. Held at D'Arenberg Vineyard in McLaren Vale, the menu was drawn from their regular restaurant offerings and so I know I’m not merely teasing you by documenting the below.

We begin with canapés of stuffed olives and lime aioli while deciding between the entrée of lobster medallion with blue swimmer crab ravioli and lobster bisque or warm salad of smoked duck, asparagus and poached egg. I’ve forgotten how beautifully asparagus pairs with a runny egg yolk and a smattering of sea salt. The duck egg is deliciously rich and works well with the smoked meat. I’ve positioned myself well so I can also sample the lobster and am not disappointed.




After much deliberation I select the main of beef fillet with turkey liver pâté, truffle and wine glaze. I have an unusual apprehension about anything related to turkeys. It may or may not have something to do with being accosted by one at a nursery when I was three but I was impressed by the subtlety of the pâté paired with the stronger truffle flavours.




As the Writer was fretting over his speech my fork was quietly reaching for his main of Spanish paprika rolled lamb loin with pomegranate salsa which also came with cuminy chickpeas and a morsel of spicy minced lamb. As you can see from the photos we were quick to help ourselves to the sides of rosemary and garlic potatoes and green salad with cabernet dressing.



We finished with a beautiful cheese platter, Mexican chocolate cake with rose syrup and strawberries and coffee and petite fours. I think such an exceptional dining experience can only be a sign of a wonderful marriage to come!




D'Arenberg
Osborne Road, McLaren Vale
Ph: 08 8329 4888
Open for Lunch from 12pm onwards and dinner functions by arrangement
Cellar door open 10am-5pm

4 comments:

Little Foodie said...

Wow - makes me want to get married all over again... If you send me an e-mail at littlefoodies (AT) hotmail (Dot co DOT uk) I'll get back to you re: London. Amanda :)

Truffle said...

Amanda, I'm sure the food at your wedding would have been incredible! I've sent you an email :)

Squishy said...

Oh I totally agree! Looks fantastic!

Truffle said...

Squishy- it was pretty fantastic. Forget the dress and the flowers, I'm all about the food at weddings! Thanks for reading :)