Tuesday, 29 May 2007

A Pre-Market Feed

Rarely do I manage to drag myself out of bed and get to the markets in time to get my hands on the best pickings. So when a friend suggested breakfast opposite the South Melbourne market I couldn’t have been happier. I was also delighted that we were steering clear of many of the over-priced and over packed cafés because nothing makes a girl grumpier than having to queue for her breakfast.

The George Hotel is like dozens of renovated Melbourne gastro pubs except for one thing- they do a bargain breakfast! For $9.90 you get coffee or orange juice, eggs your way, toast, hashbrowns, tomatoes, sausage, bacon and sautéed spinach. I must say their slices of toast seem to be the smallest in town so perhaps all those sides are meant to compensate. There’s also a vegetarian option and I’m pleased to announce the do a perfect poached egg. It’s certainly a far cry from the fried eggs and greasy bacon I remember at the pubs of my childhood.



If you don’t want to go overboard with the sides you can instead pick and choose. Also on offer are the usual suspects; muesli, eggs benedict, eggs Florentine and pancakes. For those looking for a lighter start they do a damn fine fruit salad which does an excellent job of easing your conscience when you buy up big at the market.




The George Hotel
139 Cecil Street (corner Cecil and Coventry Streets)
South Melbourne
Ph: 03 9686 5655

No comments: