Saturday, 10 March 2007

Keep it Simple



I am a big believer that when the produce is good the cooking should be kept to a minimum but particularly with seafood. I ate this prawn dish during my recent trip to India and it is a far cry from the usual preparations involving a dozen spices. The prawn juices and buttery garlic were gorgeous served over basmati rice in India but tonight's experiment proved they are equally excellent with pasta or noodles.

Garlic and Chilli Prawns


1-2 tbsp oil (I used olive)
1-2 tbsp ghee (butter is fine)
8 large prawns
3 dried chillis
4 cloves crushed garlic
limes


The amount of oil and ghee you need depends on the size of your prawns.

Place oil, ghee, dried chilli & garlic in a frypan and heat gently over low heat. Kept the heat to a minimum to prevent the garlic burning. When the oil is hot, add the prawns increase heat and cook for 2-3 minutes. Don't be tempted to remove the heads of the prawns- think prawn stock, this is where the flavour comes from!

Nobody likes an overcooked prawn so take it off the heat as soon as they are cooked through and squeeze over half a lime. Serve on a bed of rice or pasta and extra lime.

The perfect quick pre-West Wing dinner following an afternoon in the pub. As an ex-Sydney girl I raised the question, where does one buy fresh oysters in Victoria? Any ideas?

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Truffle,
I've just tagged you for a meme! The gist of it should be obvious from my post but if you'd like to join in and still have some questions, drop me an email: wheresthebeef_blog[AT]yahoo[DOT]com[DOT]au .

Adski said...

You should check out Sea Bounty Mussels in Williamstown on Sundays, they have the freshest seafood I've found so far... Oysters, Prawns and Mussels! CHeck out my post about them if you like: http://totallyaddictedtotaste.blogspot.com/2006/10/sea-bounty-mussels-williamstown.html

Truffle said...

thanks for the suggestion!